- Infection Control - Standard Precautions: Adherence to handwashing requirements, workflow patterns, standard precautions, sterility assurance, biological monitoring, & dress code.
- Quality Assurance Monitoring: Validates & maintains: event-related protocols; disinfection and/or sterilization load parameters & records; inventory check sheet(s); & equipment monitoring.
- Documentation: Meets regulatory requirements for sterilization, high level disinfection, biological monitoring, & employee competencies.
- Accurately document & maintain daily records of all QA & sterilization functions according to regulatory agency & Infection Control standards.
- Policies & Procedures: Adheres to Organizational & Departmental policies & procedures.
- Staff Development: Participate in department employee orientation (DEO), meetings, & employee evaluation & competency programs.
- Maintains current Sterile Processing Technician Certification.
- May assist in departmental inservices & training.
- Decontamination Skills: Wears personal protective equipment.
- Inspects, disassembles, sorts, cleans, & processes reusable instrumentation & equipment.
- Selects & operates specialized cleaning equipment.
- Follows manufacturer recommendations for use of cleaning agents.
- Follows device manufactures cleaning guidelines.
- Maintains adequate cleaning supplies.
- As designated reprocesses endoscopes.
- Instrumentation Assembly 2 Identifies, inspects, & assembles all general & specialty instruments, various power equipment, laser & endoscopic instruments per specifications & manufacturer recommendations.
- Preparation & Packaging: According to manufacturer guidelines, selects & prepares packaging materials for the sterilization of reusable instrumentation.
- Principles of Sterilization: Selects appropriate method of sterilization.
- Maintains accurate sterilization records.
- Properly loads & unloads sterilization cart items.
- Verifies that sterilization parameters have been met before distribution of load.
- Equipment & Supply Mgmt: Collect, clean, check, distribute, & track patient care equipment.
- As designated, order patient care equipment, inventory assigned supply areas for replenishment, & rotate stock appropriately & stocks general & surgical carts.
- Report all malfunctioning equipment to appropriate department.
- Workplace Safety: Demonstrates awareness of personal & work area safety at all times.
- Complies w/ facility safety policies & procedures, including those for bloodborne pathogens & communicable diseases.
- Takes prompt corrective actions when hazard identified (reporting or removing, as appropriate).
- Attends required safety training.
- Professionalism: Demonstrates effective written & oral communication skills.
- Actively supports & contributes teamwork in the workplace.
- Takes responsibility & is accountable for own professional work ethics.
- Demonstrate responsibility in adhering to posted work schedules.
- Assist in inservice & training.
- Supports departmental related computer programs.
- May assume interdepartmental liaison responsibilities.
- In the absence of the Senior Technician, may assume interdepartmental liaison responsibilities.
- Supervisory Responsibilities: This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
- One (1) year experience in instrument processing.
- High School Diploma/GED.
- Sterile Processing Technician Certification. Must hold current CS/SPD Certification with either the Certification Board for Sterile Processing and Distribution (CBSPD) or The International Association of Healthcare Central Service Materials Management.
- Must know Medical Terminology to understand instrumentation, surgical procedures, and surgical schedule.
- Must have knowledge of various types of reusable surgical instrumentation, including power equipment and micro surgical instrumentation.
- Must know how to operate Sterile Processing departmental equipment (i.e. washers, ultrasonic, steam, gas, and chemical sterilizer).
- Must know cleaning of patient care equipment (i.e. I.V. pumps, feeding pumps, pneumatic pumps, CPM machines, PCA, and hypo/hyperthermia units, etc.).
- Must know sterilization monitoring, record keeping, and quality assurance protocols.
- Ability to read and comprehend complex instructions, correspondence, and memos.
- Ability to write simple correspondence.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other incumbents of the organization.
- Must be able to follow verbal and written instructions.
- Must be able to read, comprehend, and follow organizational and departmental policies and procedures.
- Must have effective oral and written communication skills with co-workers, internal, and external customers.
- Must be willing to work in a Labor Management Partnership environment.
- Also refer to Position Specifications outlined in the appropriate collective bargaining agreement.
- Departmental related computer skills.
HoursPerWeek : 16
Workdays : Wk 1: Fri, Sat Wk 2: Fri, Sat
Job Schedule :
Job Type : Standard
Employee Status : Regular
Employee Group/Union Affiliation : A01|SEIU|United Healthworkers
Job Level : Entry Level
Job Category : Clinical Support
Travel : No