Square Root Academy - Who We Are
Science + Technology + Engineering + Arts + Mathematics = STEAM. Square Root Academy is a STEAM-based non-profit organization dedicated to educating underrepresented youth (our “Scholars”) on the fundamentals of STEAM while emphasizing collaborative learning, innovation, and academic excellence. This goal is executed under our three key pillars: Community Involvement, Project-based Learning, and Professional STEAM Exposure. We expose Academy scholars to the growing field of STEAM at no cost, while promoting creativity, leadership, and academic excellence.
In fulfilling our mission, we partner with schools, libraries, local governments, other community organizations, and leaders in industry. We develop and implement robust, adaptive, and engaging after-school and co-curricular programs in the physical and digital spaces. We work collaboratively, innovate regularly, and prioritize the continual learning, engagement, and growth of our team members. We commit to excellence in service to our communities and positioning ourselves as Sacramento’s STEAM Program. WE DELIVER TRANSFORMATIVE S.T.E.A.M. EXPERIENCES!
Who We Help: Our Local Scholars, in Grades 5-12 - During School, After School, In the Summer, and (sometimes) on Weekends
- Our target population we serve is Scholars who are in grades 5 through 12, and are part of communities underrepresented in STEAM academic and professional fields. For example, did you know that Latinos make up 16% of the U.S. workforce but only 9% of STEAM workers, and that Black women account for only 3% of degrees earned in computing? Team #SquareRoot works to change this fact.
- Our Scholars usually live in school district attendance zones around Sacramento. Currently, a majority of our Scholars attend Sacramento City Unified School District (SCUSD) or Elk Grove Unified School District (EGUSD) schools.
- Most Scholars in our programs join Square Root Academy through engaging recruitment efforts! Some participate as parts of partnerships with Square Root Academy and classes during the school day.
- Our Scholars gather in any of these places: At local schools (during the day or after school); at community centers and libraries; at Lab 7, our facility; and virtually through digital formats, such as Zoom!
What You’ll Do
The Programs Manager, CS Education develops, supervises, and teaches Computer Science based curriculum at Square Root Academy. This position is filled by an adaptable, organized, and skilled individual who is proficient at CS fundamentals and is inspired to lead programs that empower all youth (our Scholars). This person works closely with Education team members and is vital for Scholar success.
This role reports to the Director of Education. Headlines of this role:
- Programs Managers are educator-leaders; they manage teams, communicate with partners in school and industry, and teach classes
- They ensure a quality CS Education program by curriculum building and implementation, device management, and professional learning
- They skillfully facilitate meaningful, engaging, and active learning of our Scholars, helping them see the power within themselves.
Our CS Education Program team leans heavily on STEAM mindsets, effective strategies, a commitment to learning, and their hearts and experience to facilitate learning in a range of topics! The list currently includes: coding, robotics, digital art, game design, app development, web design, circuits, social impact, culminating projects … and more! Candidates for Team #SquareRoot don’t need to start out with knowledge for ALL of these areas - as long as there’s a willingness to learn!
Our adaptable, mission-oriented Programs Manager, CS Education also engages in various specific tasks to support their work. They:
- Teach courses (virtually or on-site) to Scholars in the CS Education program, rigorously promoting Scholar growth and empowerment
- Implement a system of curriculum building, improvement, and quality implementation through professional development
- Manage device allocation (laptops, tablets, and accessories) using programs such as Apple School Manager and JAMF
- Visit and Observe other sites in the CS Education program on a regular basis, coaching team members and engaging their improvement
- Co-Manage (with the Director of Education) partnerships with school representatives and key industry partners
- Promote productive learning environments where Scholars respect peers and adults, continually grow, are safe, and build relationships
- Learn continually to expand their skills in: all STEAM content, project-based learning, equity, and Socio-Emotional Learning (SEL)
- Lead and Participate in collaborations, trainings, and weekly meetings, both synchronously and asynchronously
- Manage recordkeeping for our internal use, as well as our partners, and act as a professional liaison to partner sites
- Participate and lead in multiple formats, including in-person/digital, synchronous/asynchronous, written/verbal
- Know Scholars as individuals, building mentor relationships with them, and connecting them with additional learning opportunities
- Represent Team #SquareRoot through professionalism and pride at various interactions, conferences, and events
- Embody and promote the Square Root Academy’s STEAM and equity-driven culture and values.
- Work with Director of Education as a team to maximize impact and promote overall success of the CS Education program for Scholars
Who You Are
Is Team #SquareRoot where you see yourself making a social impact? Successful Program Managers bring various qualities to the mission:
- Certification: Our Programs Managers take pride in their commitment to STEAM learning, validated by certification. They generally have a Bachelor’s degree in a STEAM related field.
- Our Programs Managers have an equity-oriented passion and are committed to eradicating disparities in outcomes for youth from marginalized groups. They generally either have experience in working with youth, or a commitment to strong work with them
- Upon employment, our Programs Managers will pass statutory requirements for employees working in schools, such as background checks with the Department of Justice, medical clearances (such as TB and COVID-19 tests)
- Our Programs Managers communicate professionally and effectively, through writing, speaking, and presenting
- Our Programs Managers have a team-oriented mindset and demonstrate the flexibility needed in a community-based non-profit
- Schedule: Our Scholar Mentors commute to local-area sites, or work virtually, dependent on the current needs of the program.
Why Join Team #SquareRoot?
At Square Root Academy, an equity-driven mission guides the impact of our work. You have the opportunity to help create a change that you want to see in the world. Additionally, we are an organization that promotes self-care, professional development, collaboration, team building opportunities, and growing your leadership - if you’re interested. And, working with our Scholars to build their capacities and realize the power within themselves is a profoundly rewarding experience - whether it be for one year, two years, or *hopefully* a career! We also provide a monthly stipend for health insurance.
Square Root Academy is an equal opportunity employer; promoting equity in our communities is at the core of our work. Continue the conversation with us by visiting our website, www.squarerootacademy.com. No matter what you do, we encourage you to stay curious!
[Revised Sep 8, 2021 ]
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $50,000.00 - $55,000.00 per year
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- 8 hour shift
We are currently following Sacramento county guidelines.
- Will you send a cover letter that speaks to your fitness for this role and the type of impact you would like to make on local youth in Computer Science Education?
- Associate (Preferred)
- Multiple locations
Work Location: Multiple Locations