Are you interested in strategy and modernizing the public service? The Strategic Policy & Planning team is seeking a Business Analyst who can manage projects in a disciplined manner, is agile and adaptive in developing solutions, values broad-based collaboration and engagement, and is able to craft business cases or strategic narratives to deliver on direction from City Council and executive leadership.
Who are we? The Strategic Policy & Planning section is a small but dynamic team that supports the Deputy City Manager, Corporate Services, in driving strategic projects and priority transformation initiatives. In doing so we focus on the City’s desired outcomes in the long-term and plan strategies on how to achieve them. This requires creativity that stretches thinking and challenges assumptions, all while proactively engaging with broad stakeholders to co-create solutions.
We also value diversity and multi-disciplinary backgrounds so we can effectively deliver on our mandate:
1. Strategically support the Deputy City Manager, Corporate Services;
2. Corporate-level strategy and planning for Corporate Services;
3. Drive and accelerate priority transformation projects (current examples include Customer Service and Digital Government).
The Business Analyst will report to the Strategic Policy and Planning Managers and will be responsible for conducting research, analysing data, options, governance models and organizational design, business process reviews, and stakeholder consultations, in support of the City's Customer Experience Transformation.
- Implements detailed plans and recommends policies/procedures regarding program specific requirements.
- Conducts research on assigned projects, taking into account developments within the field, corporate policies and practices, legislation and initiatives by other levels of government.
- Provides input into and administers assigned budget, ensuring that expenditures are controlled and maintained within approved budget limitations.
- Reviews, analyzes and documents as-is service delivery models, position functions and business processes, recommending changes to improve service delivery.
- Collects and maintains service inventories.
- Identifies, analyzes, rationalizes and optimizes; business processes, inputs, and outputs; program operations and functions at a detailed level by interviewing, documenting, and facilitating business process review/re-engineering sessions with stakeholders.
- Prepares business cases, feasibility studies (including economic, organizational, operational, technical impact), project charters/plans, business/functional/technical requirements, design documents, training strategies/plans, and user documentation and Request for Proposals and Request for Quotations (RFP/RFQ).
- Produces reports, prepares briefing notes, summaries, presentations and other printed materials, making recommendations on changes in business methods and processes.
- Oversees project quality management on behalf of the Project Team Leader.
- Conducts financial analysis and determines key indicators to measure the effectiveness and efficiencies of service delivery methods and design processes to track those indicators.
- Leads sub projects, develops plans and evaluates the effectiveness of these projects.
- Develops test or pilot strategies, plans and monitors and evaluates trials.
- Conducts training sessions for staff in new business processes.
- Facilitates stakeholder working sessions.
- Post-secondary education in a related discipline such as Business or Public Administration or Project Management or approved equivalent combination of education and experience. CBAP or PMP certification is an asset.
- Considerable experience analyzing statistical data, reports, research materials and the ability to prepare, organize and present project documentation (e.g. business case, feasibility study, project plans).
- Experience analyzing business processes, business process re-engineering, information systems and statistics in combination with experience working on strategic enterprise initiatives focused on identifying options, best practices and opportunities to improve service delivery.
- Experience in assessing and developing effective, highly professional reports, research proposals, project plans and analysis that facilitate management decision making for achieving service efficiencies through implementation of various strategic initiatives.
- Significant demonstrated analytical, interpretative, evaluative and constructive thinking skills to establish strategic objectives, and to develop solutions that support the unique operational, business and administrative needs of the client.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office products including, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio and Project.
- Experience facilitating small and large group meetings and working sessions.
- Knowledge of change management principles and the ability to implement change.
- Excellent oral communication and presentation skills, with the ability to deal effectively with city staff, councillors, senior management and the public.
- Effective decision-making, conflict resolution, problem solving skills, demonstrating innovation with a results-oriented approach and strong customer service orientation.
- Ability to work effectively as a team member and work collaboratively with others in a multidisciplinary team.
- Excellent organization skills with the ability to meet competing priorities and handle multiple tasks concurrently.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
The City is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to creating a workplace culture of inclusiveness that reflects the diverse residents that we serve. Learn more about the City’s commitment to employment equity.
The City of Toronto is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive organization. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require Code-protected accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs. Disability-related accommodation during the application process is available upon request. Learn more about the City’s Hiring Policies and Accommodation Process.