- Bachelor's degree or higher in Computer Science or related field
- Strong knowledge of CS fundamentals including data structures, algorithm design and complexity analysis
- Proficiency in at least one object-oriented programming language such as Java, C++ or C#
- Broad technical depth and knowledge of mobile devices, applications and technologies
- Excellent communication, analytical and problem solving skills
Working for Amazon Kids offers a creative, fast-paced, entrepreneurial work environment where you will be at the center of Amazon innovation. Come help build the future of Amazon devices and services!
A day in the life
You will work with your engineering peers, product managers, and internal stakeholders to launch software that improves major portions of products, device applications and services in an agile, customer-centric environment. You will incubate ideas, execute projects, and perform experiments to measure success. You will also regularly participate in code reviews, design discussions, and operations reviews, where you will identify problems and propose solutions. You may participate in your team's on-call management on a rotational basis. At times you may work with teams all over the world on cross-cutting initiatives and test prototypes to anticipate customer needs.
About the hiring group
We make the Amazon Kids application that brings together all types of content that kids and parents love, including books, Audible books, movies, TV shows, educational apps and games, plus a child-friendly Alexa experience. It provides peace of mind for parents with award-winning parental controls and monitoring through Parent Dashboard, and a world of fun for kids where they can choose from thousands of the most popular titles and age-appropriate content, all hand-selected by the Amazon Kids team. Amazon Kids is available on Fire Tablets, Fire TV, Kindle e-readers, compatible Android and iOS mobile devices, and compatible Alexa devices. Here's more information: http://www.amazon.com/kids.
You will be responsible for producing large-scale customer-facing features from inception to delivery and beyond, using best practices and generating positive feedback. You will need to make technical decisions and trade-offs by having a deep understanding of your customers, your business, and your team's software architecture. As an owner, you will also focus on operational excellence, continuously improving your team's development and testing processes. You will troubleshoot, research the root cause of problems, and thoroughly resolve defects inside and outside of your domain. You will also be responsible for helping your team train and mentor both current and future engineers.
Amazon is committed to providing accommodations at all stages through recruitment and employment in accordance with applicable human rights and accommodation legislation. If contacted for an employment opportunity, please advise Human Resources if you require accommodation, including in order to apply for a position.
- Experience with Android, iOS, Windows or other mobile application development
- Proven track record of taking ownership and successfully delivering results
- Knowledge of professional software engineering best practices for the complete software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing and deployment
- Ability to effectively communicate with technical and non-technical stakeholders across all levels of the organization
- Experience defining system architectures and exploring technical feasibility tradeoffs
- Master's degree