Sketchy is a visual learning platform for students & professionals to effortlessly learn and recall information through art, storytelling and spaced repetition. The company was born when four medical students began creating sketched stories to distinguish and memorize similarly named viruses, and they realized that the same learning methodologies could be used across a variety of subjects.
Since its inception in 2013, Sketchy has become the premiere learning destination for medical students around the world. It’s used by 1 in 2 medical students in the United States, has an alumni base of over 300,000 students and helps students answer questions 77% faster than conventional teaching.
Sketchy is a TCG (The Chernin Group) portfolio company (joining other companies such as Headspace, Food52, Barstool Sports and Crunchyroll) and a Reach Capital portfolio company (joining other start-up companies that bring a playfulness to learning).
About the Role
Sketchy is seeking a Senior Product Designer to help lead our innovation in education for students and institutions around the world. As the first product designer at the company, you will report directly to the Chief Product Officer, and will be a key member of the product team in a small, high-growth environment. You’ll play a pivotal role in maintaining and transforming our current product as you define our design to shape our future product direction.
As the design team grows, management opportunities will emerge for this role, but in the near term, you will act as a key individual contributor working alongside your teammates in product management, engineering, sales and customer success.
Working at Sketchy:
We are headquartered in Los Angeles but have teammates that collaborate remotely from cities across the United States. As travel and working conditions return back to “normal”, we will find opportunities to increasingly meet and collaborate in person. While you will always have a seat to work from at our Los Angeles HQ, our transition to a remote-first company will allow you to work from the location of your choice in select states across the country.
Location: This role is open to remote employees in select US states: Texas, California, New York, Hawaii, Illinois, Colorado, Massachusetts, Washington, and Washington, D.C.
- Define Sketchy’s high-level user experience, journeys and design guidelines
- Lead user research in partnership with product managers and marketing to deeply understand our students’ problems and motivations to help develop our product strategy
- Explore product ideas through prototyping before executing on them, and willing to throw ideas away if they don’t meet our bar or our goals
- Translate and transform qualitative and quantitative insights into user experience flows, and partner with engineering to create implementation-ready designs
- Create the foundation of Sketchy’s design culture to enable our product to serve the needs of our students, your cross-functional partners and growth of the business
- 6+ years of working as a designer in consumer digital learning and education technology companies
- Experience working in early-stage startups (Seed, Series A)
- While you may specialize in certain aspects of design, you love operating as a generalist, and love to dive into everything from UX flows and wireframing to detailed visual design.
- Track record of demonstrating great judgement of when to ship: “Perfect is the enemy of good”
- Led efforts to define initial designs going from “zero to one”, including design patterns, style guides and UI libraries that were leveraged by engineering, product and other designers
What We Offer:
- Competitive compensation plan
- Innovative, high growth and collaborative culture
- Generous PTO package with floating holiday
- Fun team events (Monthly and virtual for now)
- Great Benefits including: Medical, dental, vision, 401k and more
Sketchy Group LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will receive consideration without discrimination on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, disability or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.