AI/ML SOFTWARE ARCHITECT (US)
Locations: Seattle, WA; Portland, OR; Alameda/ Bay Area, CA; Broomfield, CO; Washington DC; Huntsville, AL, Ottawa, ON
Remote/Home Office during COVID-19 pandemic
Work Authorization: US Citizen or Permanent Resident
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Wind River Systems is looking for someone with expert-level technical skills in architecture and implementation with cutting-edge cloud platforms and DevSecOps toolsets for RTOS-based devices.
What you’ll do:
In this role, you will lead the architecture, design, development, integration, and delivery of the data science platform, analytical models, and smart automation for Wind River Studio. Your mission will be to create and evolve a sustainable, cloud-native, cloud-agnostic software architecture and ecosystem for integrating AI/ML models into Wind River Studio for the V&V framework and Digital Feedback Loop.
Your architecture will reflect the qualities that are critical to Wind River and its customers (such as performance, scalability, safety, security, reliability, interoperability) and maximize support for additional important qualities such as usability and portability. Your work will help our customers to securely and efficiently develop, test, and operate Wind River products in diverse mission-critical applications.
Who you will work with:
You will collaborate cross-functionally with product line managers, sales, professional services, customer success, data scientists, data engineers, other architects, technologists, software developers, and customer-facing teams to deliver intelligent cloud analytics solutions across a wide portfolio of class-leading products, in many industry verticals, and ensure high performance, usability, and product quality. You will also have opportunities to engage with and contribute to various open source communities. This is a new position that will report to the Director of AI in Engineering.
- Lead and contribute technically on projects to iteratively design and deliver intelligent edge solutions and DevSecOps toolsets, to solve a range of development and systems problems
- Elicit, analyze, refine, document, and leverage architectural requirements for making decisions on architecture for AI-related capabilities of Wind River Studio
- Keep up with the state of the art on reference architectures for IoT and cloud analytics
- Objectively evaluate potential partnerships and technologies for build/buy/integrate decisions; conduct efficient, objective evaluations of candidate components and architectures as needed
- Systematically evaluate tradeoffs among competing architectural qualities for analytics solutions, and benchmark proposed implementations vs established reference architectures
- Capture and share the architectural decisions and knowledge that underpin the architecture, and support the AI team in delivering features on this architecture that delight customers
- Define and evolve a high-quality, secure data architecture and infrastructure, upon which future data science can flourish
- Deliver and maintain cloud infrastructure, spanning on-premises (open source), AWS, and Azure, and using Kubernetes, Docker, Helm, Terraform, and other tools
- Mentor and help to up-skill other members of AI development teams on analytics architecture
- BSc or higher degree (Computer Science, Computer/Electrical/Software/Systems Engineering, Applied Math/Physics, or other STEM field) or equivalent work experience
- 10+ years working in software development arena, including in domains relevant to Wind River
- 5+ years of hands-on experience leading the design and development architectures for big data analytics solutions for real time streaming IoT devices or systems and/or development toolsets
- Exceptional team player with a track record of successful collaborations and working well in diverse, distributed agile environments; comfortable with Scrum and software team communication / coordination approaches in cross-functional engineering
- Self-managed, fast learner with the desire and ability to master new technologies
Core Competencies and Demonstrated Success
You should have:
- Blend of technical expertise and soft skills including business acumen, decision making, and well-developed oral and written communication skills
- Strong understanding of architectural requirements and software product development processes (particularly verification & validation)
- Experience with open source technologies such as Nifi, Kafka, Postgres, Hadoop/HDFS, Airflow
- Experience with multi-region AWS & Azure
- Experience designing and scaling a system that can reliably capture and analyze device data in the cloud, over hot/warm/cold paths
- Experience integrating and deploying machine learning models and artificial intelligence technologies into software solutions (in cloud and/or on device)
- Excellent demonstrable programming skills using SQL, Python, and C/C++ or Java
It will be great if you also have:
- Proficiency at efficiently ingesting and wrangling data from real devices in the labs and the real world (like planes, trains, automobiles) and from development tools (like Gitlab, Jenkins, Jira)
- Experience in autonomous systems development and certification processes/standards
- Experience with provisioning/deprovisioning and mutually authenticating edge devices for securely exchanging data and commands with a cloud-based system
- Knowledge of how to securely ingest & capture high volume, real-time data coming from RTOS-based devices (telemetry and event-based); familiarity with Embedded Operating Systems and development tools (such as Linux or RTOS), outside the mobile handset space
- Experience applying NLP and other ML techniques to data in software repositories
- Proficiency with agile project management tools (e.g. Jira), CM/CI/CD tools (Git, Gitlab, Jenkins), and security tools
- Software development, architecture, agile, or security certifications
- History of open source contributions and/or volunteering on professional committees
- Track record of innovations and publications, including conference/workshop presentations
ABOUT WIND RIVER
In a world increasingly driven by software innovation, Wind River is pioneering the technologies to accelerate the digital transformations of our customers with a new generation of Mission Critical AI Systems, in a world with the most exacting standards for safety, security, performance, and reliability. Success will be determined by our ability to innovate with velocity and solve customer problems at the solutions level.
Wind River’s impact spans critical infrastructure domains such as telecommunications, including 5G; industrial (automation, sustainable energy, robotics, mining), connected healthcare and medical devices, automotive (connected and self-driving vehicles), and aerospace & defense. We were recognized by VDC Research in July 2020 as #1 in Edge Compute OS Platforms, overtaking Microsoft as the overall commercial leader. Wind River regularly wins industry recognitions for excellence in IoT security, cloud and edge computing, as well as 7 consecutive years as a “Top Work Place”. If you’re passionate about amplifying your impact on the world, in a caring, respectful culture with a growth mindset, come join us and help lead the way into the future of the intelligent edge!