Careers that Change Lives
You will join a world class team of mechanical, electrical and software engineers responsible for further development and enhancement of the globally launched Medtronic’s Robotic Assisted Surgery platform through commercial launch and production scale-up: https://www.medtronic.com/covidien/en-us/robotic-assisted-surgery/hugo-ras-system.html
Impact patient outcomes. Come for a job, stay for a career.
In the Surgical Robotics (SR) business, part of Medtronic’s Medical Surgical Portfolio, we believe patients around the world deserve access to quality care and improved outcomes. We strive to expand global access to care and reduce variability through robotic and analytics solutions.
A Day in the Life
As Senior HCD Researcher, you will connect the dots between primary user research and data produced by our Human Factors and Clinical Engineering teams, to tell clear stories of user needs, preferences, thresholds, and risks. Operate across multiple subsystem teams from an all-access position within the Systems Engineering team. Prioritize research efforts and targeted proposals for functionality across a highly complex, multi-component surgical system. Collaborate closely with a dedicated Human Factors team and, Principal UX designer and Principal HCD designer to help define user needs and usability requirements, and test and refine usability across all interactions. Continuously develop and improve the craft of UX Research in the Surgical Robotics space.
- Develop and execute small and medium-scale user research studies
- Incorporate existing data to build a database or repository of findings
- Create clear, compelling case presentations on prioritized finding topics (e.g., directional guidance for feature content and details, go/no-go recommendations on usability or user thresholds)
- Observe usability testing and OR procedures
- Participate in triage and analysis of post-market complaints and suggestions
- Participate in Risk Assessment and requirements development and update processes
- Design (and depending on background/skills, build) dashboards for collected data
- Evangelize UX principles and best practices to stakeholders and leadership to stay current with industry trends and customer needs
- Use leadership skills to plan and deliver UX research efforts across various teams
- Lead and execute user research sprints and/or guide collection of data by colleagues on other user-facing teams (e.g. Customer Success / Service team)
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 7 years of relevant experience, or advanced degree with a minimum of 5 years relevant experience
- Bachelor’s degree with 7+ years of relevant experience, or advanced degree with 5+ years relevant experience
- Cogent, concise written communication
- Excellent presentation skills – engaging and well-detailed documentation
- Travel up to 20% of the time primarily between Boston and North Haven facilities via car or train as well as domestically and internationally at times.
- 2+ years’ experience with regulated product development process (e.g. IEC62366; requirements; development stages)
- Relational database design and management
- Clear workflow transparency and communication to meet fluid project priorities and tight timelines
- Passion for learning new technologies and understanding the needs of users across a range of technical abilities
- Ability to apply business needs to research planning
Together, we can change healthcare worldwide. At Medtronic, we push the limits of what technology, therapies and services can do to help alleviate pain, restore health and extend life. We challenge ourselves and each other to make tomorrow better than yesterday. It is what makes this an exciting and rewarding place to be.
We want to accelerate and advance our ability to create meaningful innovations - but we will only succeed with the right people on our team. Let’s work together to address universal healthcare needs and improve patients’ lives. Help us shape the future.
Physical Job Requirements
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this position, but they are not an exhaustive list of all the required responsibilities and skills of this position.
The physical demands described within the Day in the Life section of this job description are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
It is the policy of Medtronic to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, Medtronic will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
This employer participates in the federal E-Verify program to confirm the identity and employment authorization of all newly hired employees. For further information about the E-Verify program, please click here: http://www.uscis.gov/e-verify/employees.