Do you have a passion for design, and experience creating inspiring custom design projects? If so, we’re looking for you! Calico is a leading retailer for custom decorating services with over 70 years of experience in the designer fabrics, custom design services and upholstered furniture business.
We are looking for Designers to join our team. At Calico, our customers know us for our commitment to customer service and our superior quality products. As a Designer you will use your creative talents along with your experience with fabrics, custom furniture and window coverings to help Calico customers create beautiful spaces.
The successful Designer will approach this unique role as an eager entrepreneur who has an eye for creating custom designs with an innate understanding of color, design and custom home furnishings. You will use your experience as a commissioned sales consultant to build a rapport with satisfied repeat customers and to form new client relationships by utilizing all available business development opportunities.
- Ability to identify customer’s needs and to present and sell the appropriate products by relying on a strong knowledge of fabrics and their applications, custom product construction, including window coverings and upholstered furniture, drapery hardware and their applications, home decorating, and design principles. Hunter Douglas experience a plus!
- 1-2 year’s work experience in home furnishings, window coverings and/or furniture is required. Preference given to those with experience and/or education in decorating, and/or design.
- Must demonstrate the ability to bring large and detailed sales to a close in an efficient manner.
- An awareness of current trends in design and home décor.
- Ability to maintain a schedule which includes time to be used to schedule in-home visits, attend install and/or satisfaction check visits, meet with customers for in-store follow-up appointments, to participate in community outreach, and to perform administrative duties related to the designer role. Schedule will include assigned in-store hours as well as in-home appointments as deemed necessary by Manager. Willingness to work Saturdays and/or Sundays, overtime, promotions, sales, and semi-annual inventories as scheduled or required. Must attend all store meetings.
- Ability to achieve a pre-determined sales goal, as well as meeting other forms of measures (“Closure rate”, etc).
- Experience with networking, clienteling and community outreach. Ability to build long-term customer relationships and to obtain referrals for future sales.
- Valid driver’s license with good driving record and ability to provide own transportation to and from customers’ homes.
- Computer proficiency (as a Designer you will be using the following: Microsoft Office, Point of Sale (POS), web based rendering tools and quoting software on a daily basis).
- Strong time management skills and ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Highly organized, with attention to detail and strong follow through skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Works on selling floor, meeting with clients to build repeat and referral based clientele.
- Listens to customers’ needs and translates them into creative design solutions. This involves creating, presenting, and selling unique custom design products and services to customers.
· Makes home visits as needed to provide customers with complete design solutions. Schedules appointments at times that are mutually advantageous to customer and store needs.
- Offers a broad selection of fabrics, trims, and accessories by maintaining an awareness of all merchandise offered.
- Prepares quotes for custom product orders using company specific software and effectively sells appropriate services to customer regarding measurements and installations.
- Ensures the customer clearly understands the custom labor process and obtains all necessary signatures and payments prior to proceeding with the project.
- Properly executes paperwork accurately and in a timely manner.
- Maintains communication with customers regarding any backordered items or other delays that may adversely affect anticipated delivery.
- Ensures complete customer satisfaction by being present at final installation and/or scheduling a follow up “satisfaction check” with customer. Resolves issues to customer’s satisfaction.
- Maintains open communications with Store Manager regarding the progress of in-home assignments by communicating all scheduled appointments to clients’ homes, obtaining approval to visit workrooms, and scheduling weekly visits with Store Manager to review progress of outstanding jobs. Maintains open communication with Custom Product Coordinator and workrooms as needed.
- Utilizes all available outreach materials in an effort to generate new customers, as well as repeat and referral customers. Incorporates outreach efforts into daily and weekly activities.
- Consistently meets or exceeds sales per hour goal.
At the heart of our culture are values that guide us in attracting and retaining the best talent in the industry. As we continue to build and develop our high quality teams, we seek individuals who share these same values: Long-term relationships based on integrity, respect and fairness, passion for the work we do, a commitment to sales and earnings growth and successful performance for the Company, and a commitment to continuous learning.
We know our associates are the most valuable resource. That is why we offer an exciting and fun work environment that allows our talented associates to grow both professionally and personally.
Our successful Designers love the perks of working for Calico including:
- Base hourly rate plus a progressive commission plan that rewards consistent high performance.
- Paid training! We provide comprehensive training that focuses on fabrics and their applications, designing and developing custom products, sales technique and design. Training is provided in store and online through trainer led webinars and pre-recorded tutorials. We even provide live classes designed specifically for the role you have assumed.
- Mileage and travel expense reimbursements
- 401(k) plan for retirement savings
- Generous Employee discounts!
- Medical, Dental, Vision and Disability/Life benefits for full time associates
- Vacation and Holiday Pay for full time associates and after two years for regular part-time associates.
- Outstanding retail hours that allows for nice work/life balance!
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time
- One location
- Temporarily due to COVID-19