Job Title: Project Development Engineer
About Us: EMCOR Construction Services Midwest (ECS) is the energy division of Shambaugh & Son L.P.’s HAVEL division. We are a wholly owned subsidiary of EMCOR Group, Inc., a construction/engineering firm. We specialize in the Design-Build method of construction resulting in fast-track delivery of the project improvements for our clients. We are one of the largest specialty contractors in the U.S. and the only one with all eight M.E.P (Mechanical, Electrical, Process, Automation, Refrigeration, HVAC, Plumbing, and Fire Protection) design and installation capabilities in-house. We perform over $800 million of construction projects each year with over 2,700 employees throughout 50 states from our home office in Fort Wayne, Indiana.
Our success has been driven by our ability to attract and retain knowledgeable and seasoned professionals to work on our ECS team. As we continue to build on our ECS success story, we are looking to complement our existing experienced staff with motivated and talented individuals who are interested in joining our team.
ECS is a proud master-builder using the Design-Build construction methodology in our MEP energy-driven, construction projects focused on public K-12 and Cities and Town throughout the State of Indiana and the Midwest. We bring “value-added” with not only our unique Design-Build, self-perform approach but by also leveraging our industry’s #1 MEP engineering and construction team utilizing streamlined design and integrated construction providing our customers with SMART Learning environments and buildings that operate efficiently and at lower costs.
At ECS, we recognize people as our most important resource and it is our mission to produce the industry’s highest level of quality services, safety and productivity on every project in order to develop repeat customers, maximize return on investment and provide professional growth opportunities for people in the organization.
Job Summary: The Project Development Engineer shall develop Energy Conservation Measures (ECM’s) and Facility Improvement Measures (FIM’s), schematic/preliminary design of mechanical, electrical, plumbing, control, lighting, and other building systems, and prepare each project’s financial summary for guaranteed savings agreements in the public K-12, Cities, Towns, and Municipal projects within our ECS Midwest Business Development group.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with and support the sales representative(s) to develop projects
- Perform facility audits and identify recommendations to the customer on ECM’s & FIM’s including HVAC, Controls and Electrical system design applications
- The PDE will be responsible to generate and present reports and presentations to clients in a variety of closed door and public forums. The applicant must be able to communicate and interact very well with clients and guide them through the development process, answering their questions on options, design, pricing, and constructability.
- Generate preliminary system design (with support from the design team) - for Mechanical HVAC, Plumbing, Underground, Temperature Controls, Electrical Power and lighting, Security, Data, as well as Roofing, windows and building envelope systems. Coordinate design of additional disciplines such as Architectural, Civil, Structural, Fire Protection, etc
- The PDE will be responsible to generate budgetary pricing, Cash Flow and Financial Project Summary - showing the pricing and associated savings for each project or ECM The PDE will be supported by an Estimator and an Energy Engineer that will assist the PDE with the pricing and calculated savings. The PDE will work with the estimator, project manager, energy engineer, the engineering team, and field foreman to finalize the project estimate for the selected scopes of work and will be responsible to review all final estimates making sure to capture all associated project costs
- The Project Development Engineer will participate in all turnover meetings and support our engineering and construction departments as needed
- Perform on-site installation inspections and attend construction and owner meetings.
- Remain familiar with Codes and Standards and progressive industry designs
- This position is a leading role – and drives the criteria development of these projects and must multi-task well - in order to coordinate multiples of team members and projects in different phases of our process
- Other duties assigned
- Minimum of 4-10+ years of experience in the HVACR industry with a Mechanical/HVAC Engineering background
- Experience in engineering K-12 and public sector projects is a plus
- Thorough knowledge of HVAC system design is a pre-requisite for this position
- Previous experience in the budgeting of MEP/K-12 projects is a plus
- Computer literate and comfortable with spreadsheets and computerized drawing packages
- Technical competencies and ability to develop scopes of work that are aligned with our business model
- The ability to complete the schematic design and communicate to our engineering staff the project’s special requirements including design criteria and characteristics that may be unique to the project
- Anticipate requirements and cost components of Design-Build projects
- Excellent writing and communication skills with team members, customers, vendors, and subcontractors as well as comfort with public speaking
- Background in Guaranteed Savings Projects a plus
- This person should be self-motivated, innovative, competent, responsible, proficient, and organized
- This person should be personable and must work well in a team environment
- Professional Licensing or Certifications encouraged, but not required
- Intrastate travel required. Active driver license status a must
Shambaugh is deeply committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity for all its job applicants and employees. We seek to employ qualified persons in all job classifications and to administer all personnel actions affecting our employees without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, ancestry, or genetic information. Individuals with a disability, disabled and other protected veterans and any other characteristic protected by applicable law will be given the fullest consideration for employment in positions for which they are qualified. We also are committed to making reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with a disability as well as abiding by any and all state and local laws, which in addition to the above prohibit discrimination in any form.