UCW is a business and technology oriented, teaching intensive university and has the fastest growing MBA program in Canada. Balanced with a BCOM degree, a BA in Business Communications and an AA diploma, UCW offers students interactive, experiential education in business and technology as well as solid grounding in academic skills. University Canada West is opening a new campus at Vancouver House and is experiencing significant growth. We are seeking passionate learner-centered faculty specialized in the fields of Financial Technology, Cryptocurrency Technology, Blockchain, e-Gaming and Cybersecurity. As UCW works to expand course offerings in technology with a business focus, candidates with the capacity to develop courses are encouraged to apply. We are looking for a candidate who can help us to realize our vision of providing undergraduate students with courses that give them the platform to pursue further certifications in their field and be successful in their careers.
Faculty are responsible for providing an interactive learning experience, remaining engaged in their field through scholarly activities, and service to the UCW community by participating on committees. Responsibilities include working with colleagues to develop or modify the curriculum by preparing and updating class materials, working with students to provide them the knowledge and skills required for successful careers, and assessing students’ progress by grading coursework. At UCW we strive to give our students an education that is relevant to the current industry climate and trends; staying informed regarding changes and innovations in your field is crucial.
- Contribute to high quality curriculum development and revision
- Create a positive classroom and learning environment through effective student engagement
- Maintain contacts with relevant industry and professional associations
- Ensure teaching design and methods are in compliance with pedagogical standards
- Assess student achievement of learning outcomes using a variety of techniques
- Provide academic support to students inside and outside of the classroom (regularly scheduled office hours, email, group study sessions, etc.)
- Employ a variety of appropriate teaching/learning strategies
- Guide class discussions while encouraging debate and feedback from students
- Employ and further develop skills in academic technology to enhance and support classroom learning
- Develop, revise and adapt appropriate learning resources for students
- Make appropriate student referrals to academic and personal university support programs as needed
- Attend and participate in department and university faculty meetings pertinent to faculty responsibilities
- Conduct research and contribute to professional conferences, seminars, and workshops in your field of expertise
- Remain current in technical knowledge and instructional delivery techniques
- Participate in professional development workshops, seminars and training and maintain your own professional development goals
- Depending on expertise, deliver instruction in a range of programs such as in the ACBSP accredited Bachelor of Commerce program, BA Business Communications or Associate of Arts programs.
The successful candidate could potentially deliver the following courses, while also developing additional courses for delivery:
- BUSI 323: E-business
- CMPT 201: Information Systems for Managers
- CPSC 110: Introduction to Computer Applications
- CPSC 111: Introduction to Business Analytics
- Master’s degree in IT management or computer science with demonstrated knowledge of Financial Technology, Cryptocurrency Technology, Blockchain, e-Gaming, e-Commerce and Cybersecurity or other relevant disciplines
- Demonstrated knowledge and professional experience in the technology and/or business sectors
- Demonstrated ability to develop high quality courses, in an effective and timely manner
- Willing to help map pathways for students to assist students in obtaining additional certifications post-graduation
- Demonstrated experience in effective teaching at the post-secondary level
- Willing to use or learn to use, information technology tools as aids for student learning
- Demonstrated ability and commitment to cultivating learning environments that are equitable and inclusive of students with diverse social identities and backgrounds
- A PhD or additional credentials and professional experience in the Information Technology, Business, Financial Technology, Cryptocurrency Technology, Blockchain, e-Gaming, e-Commerce and Cybersecurity industries
- Professional certifications and designations in IT management including Certified Information Security Manager, AWS Certified Solutions Architect, Microsoft Certified: Azure Solutions Architect, Certified in Risk and Information Systems Control
- Experience teaching in a post-secondary educational institution face-to-face and in an online environment. (5 years teaching experience preferred)
- Track record of scholarly activity in the field
- Evidence of excellence in teaching and in assessing undergraduates’ academic work
- Excellence in teaching to diverse audiences
- Learner centered approach to teaching
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
- Effective time management skills
Successful applicants will be expected to teach primarily at the undergraduate level in an area in which the applicant has expertise and in which the school has need for course coverage. Further duties may include an academic administration role, such as leading an academic program or center. This position also includes requests for service (such as committee work and student coaching) within the university.
Other information: *
To apply, please submit a CV, cover letter, and sample syllabi.
UCW is committed to attracting and retaining a diverse workforce. Together, UCW and its staff strive to create and maintain working and learning environments that are inclusive, equitable, and welcoming. Applicants who are comfortable to self-identify as members of an ethnic minority group are encouraged to do so within their application or cover letter.
We acknowledge that UCW campuses are located on the unceded territories of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish) and Sel̓íl̓witulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.
Job Type: Full-time