Who We Are
AnswerLab is the leading UX Research firm in the US. We help powerful brands such as Amazon, Google, Facebook, FedEx, Wells Fargo, and Walmart bring a human-centered design process to every product launched. We focus on user experience research to understand what people see, do, think, and feel when using websites, mobile applications, voice interfaces, AR/VR, wearables, and other digital products. Our research studies are tailored to our clients' unique needs to provide clear, actionable recommendations that generate strategic business results.
The secret to our success is no secret: It is the people who work here! We recruit only the most skilled and client-focused professionals to join our team. All are devoted to being at the forefront of the user experience industry. Our team is made up of smart, down-to-earth people who value a “get it done” attitude as well as a good dose of humor during our work day. We empower them to do what they do best; lead impactful research studies from planning to analysis for the world’s most innovative brands.
AnswerLab has an amazing opportunity for you to grow with us. This is a phenomenal opportunity for a highly creative and extremely motivated individual, who craves new challenges and thrives on working in a fun, fast-paced and flexible environment.
For more information about AnswerLab, please visit www.answerlab.com.
Job Purpose & Impact
The Contracts Counsel will manage, review, draft and negotiate AnswerLab’s contracts and provide general legal support. We are seeking a business-minded individual with strong follow-up skills and the ability to present practical advice.
The Contracts Counsel will provide support to the CEO, head of sales, and head of operations in the following areas:
- Report to and consult with the CEO on all contract matters
- Partner closely with our outside counsel to manage volume of contracts and seek advice on complicated matters
- Review, draft, and negotiate client MSA and vendor agreements to ensure they are in compliance with business terms established by AnswerLab
- Use soft influencing skills to engage client and vendor counsel in a positive, productive, solution-oriented negotiation
- Maintain and update legal playbook for client and vendor agreements, ensuring we have appropriate flow-through provisions and balance of risk across all parties
- Keep centralized database of agreement term dates and proactively notify sponsors when agreements need to be renewed or renegotiated
- Compile and report MSA negotiation trends to the CEO and head of sales
- Translate agreed upon terms to department heads so that the organization can operationalize our obligations by client and vendor; work with Sales operations team to create and manage compliance documentation; conduct regular compliance checks with department heads
- Balance contract review needs across the organization, prioritizing those with the greatest business impact
- Make recommendations for streamlining the contract review process and actively work to reduce the time it takes to onboard new clients and vendors
- Research and assess legal issues and provide advice to minimize potential legal risks, including, but not limited to, data security, privacy, etc.
- Provide legal support for ISO 27001 certification, SOC2 Type 2 reporting, and participant NDA/Consent release forms
- Assist in counseling colleagues on a variety of business law issues
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- J.D. degree from an ABA-Accredited law school
- Admitted and in good standing with a state bar
- 10+ years of experience in contract review, drafting, and negotiations
- Contracting experience with both platform and service vendors
- Knowledge of California and New York law preferred
- Experience in the consulting, research and tech industries preferred
- Knowledge of security and data-privacy laws required
- In-house experience required
Additional Skills & Characteristics
- Persuasive verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate complex issues effectively across all levels and functions
- Strong negotiating skills with a common-sense approach
- Ability to establish and maintain strong relationships across all business departments
- Ability to work independently with minimal oversight
- Experience interacting with and presenting to senior executives
- Exceptional multi-tasking and prioritization skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Solutions-oriented with a strong business acumen
- Good judgment, attention to detail and ability to handle sensitive and confidential information
In addition to expertly meeting the requirements outlined above, your success will be measured on our eight Core Values:
AnswerLab Core Values:
- Build trust
- Provide amazing service
- Support and encourage inclusivity
- Jump in to help others
- Handle change with flexibility
- Innovate our products and processes
- Explore Creative Solutions to Challenges
- Make AnswerLab a great place to work
- Overtime may be required to meet project deadlines
- Sitting for extended periods of time
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and other devices and objects
Note: This job description is subject to change at any time.
At AnswerLab, our mission is to create experiences people love. This means we strive to make our company a great place to work for people from all walks of life. Hiring people from a wide variety of backgrounds makes our company stronger and helps us achieve our mission.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.