Shift Days: Monday- Friday ; Shift Hours : 8am-4:30pm Spanish speaking required
R1 is a leading provider of technology-enabled revenue cycle management services which transform and solve challenges across health systems, hospitals and physician practices. Headquartered in Chicago, R1 is publicly-traded organization with employees throughout the US and international locations.
Our mission is to be the one trusted partner to manage revenue, so providers and patients can focus on what matters most. Our priority is to always do what is best for our clients, patient’s and each other. With our proven and scalable operating model, we complement a healthcare organization’s infrastructure, quickly driving sustainable improvements to net patient revenue and cash flows while reducing operating costs and enhancing the patient experience.
The Patient Financial Counselor (On-Site), will be responsible for meeting with and counseling patients or those parties responsible for payment. This person will meet with patients and/or those responsible for payment either at the patient’s bedside, or via telephone. The Patient Financial Counselor will caringly interview patients and educate them on their financial obligations and potential funding source options. Additionally, they will assist these patients in completing and filing assistance program applications with the appropriate agency.
In this role, the successful candidate will utilize the tools offered them to accurately determine patient eligibility for various funding sources. They will compassionately counsel patients and serve as an advocate to them and those parties responsible for payment.
The successful candidate must have demonstrated a desire to make a difference in others’ lives by working in a team-focused environment. They will have shown organizational commitment and attention to detail.
- Explain financial responsibilities for services received, payment options and collection procedures to patients or parties responsible for payment.
- Counsel patients regarding insurance benefits and recommend alternative sources of payment and financial assistance when appropriate.
- Contact insurance carriers or other sources and act as an advocate for the patient.
- Initiate process for collecting prepays due and perform follow up activity to insure maximum collection is achieved.
- Identify hospital, public and private financial assistance programs for patients unable to meet their financial obligations.
- Work with the Care Coverage Follow-up Team, Case Management, Clinical Staff, Medicaid Vendor, and Family Independence Agency to assist patients and families in completing assistance program applications and determine eligibility and coverage.
- Notify manager, physician and servicing department of possible delay of service for any elective, urgent admissions, procedures and scheduled diagnostic testing which have not been approved prior to the date of service.
- Maintain accurate documentation of pre-processing information.
- Provide assistance to uninsured patients and families in completing and filing Medicaid or assistance program applications with the appropriate agency.
- Perform all other duties and projects as assigned
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Ability to work well independently and in teams.
- Attention to detail
- Strong customer service experience
- Ability to multi-task and navigate between multiple systems simultaneously
- Positive Attitude.
- Excellent follow through abilities to meet performance standards.
- Excellent customer service skills exhibiting good oral and written communication skills.
- Moderate computer skill level of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Ability to meet department productivity and excellence management metrics
- College Degree (healthcare or business related preferred)
- Fluent in Spanish
- Experience in medical terminology
- Understanding of State and Federal assistance
- See, read, and/or operate computers, telephones, office equipment, documents, labels, including manipulating paper requiring the ability to move fingers and hands.
- Remain sitting, standing, or walking for long periods of time to perform work on a computer, telephone, or other equipment.
- Frequent interactions with associates, patient care providers, patients, and visitors that require associate to verbally communicate as well as hear and understand spoken information, alarms, needs, and issues quickly and accurately, particularly during emergency situations.
- Manual dexterity of hands and fingers to manipulate complex and delicate equipment with precision and accuracy. This includes frequent computer use and typing for documenting patient care, accessing needed information banding patients, etc.
- Need to walk and assist with transporting/ambulating patients and obtaining and distributing supplies and equipment. This includes pushing/pulling gurneys and portable equipment, including heavy items (over 50 lbs.).
Working in an evolving healthcare setting, we use our shared expertise to deliver innovative solutions. Our fast-growing team has opportunities to learn and grow through rewarding interactions, collaboration and the freedom to explore professional interests.
Our associates are given valuable opportunities to contribute, to innovate and create meaningful work that makes an impact in the communities we serve around the world. We also offer a culture of excellence that drives customer success and improves patient care. We believe in giving back to the community and offer a competitive benefits package. To learn more, visit: r1rcm.com.
R1 RCM Inc. (“the Company”) is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity. The Company’s practices and employment decisions, including those regarding recruitment, hiring, assignment, promotion, compensation, benefits, training, discipline, and termination shall not be based on any person’s age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Furthermore, the Company is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment based on any of the foregoing protected categories.
If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the job application process, please contact us at 312-496-7709 for assistance.
- High School or better