Morrison & Foerster LLP, an Am Law 50 law firm with 16 offices worldwide, has an opening for a Lead Client Account Manager within our Financial Operations Department. We are inviting applications from candidates interested in working from any of our United States office locations.
The Lead Client Account Manager provides Client Account management services through tactical and strategic management of client account team(s) and own individual contribution. The Manager directly supervises, coaches and counsels designated team of Client Account Managers and manages the account set up, billing and collection arrangements, account, and inventory management for assigned client portfolios. This individual develops strong collaborative relationships with attorneys throughout full cycle of client invoicing and collections and delivers optimum services. The Manager develops and implements strategies to achieve the Firm's billing & collection goals.
Client Account Management
- Manage full cycle billing and collections relationships and processes for designated portfolios of client matters, taking full ownership for results. Establish, foster, and maintain professional, credible, and collaborative relationships with attorneys, staff and clients to ensure accounts support both attorney and client specifications; manage all processes from engagement to collections with tact, diplomacy, and effective negotiation skills.
- Collaborate with Finance and billing attorneys to establish and manage billing structures, including potential discounts, fee caps, tiered discounts and/or matter budgets. Steps may include checking rates and guidelines and revaluing rates as appropriate; monitoring fee caps, tier discounts and matter budgets; participating in the annual rate implementation process; setting up and monitoring alerts; communicating with Master Files and management regarding discounts, write-downs, and write-offs, etc.
- Manage pre-bill to final bill process. Print and distribute pre-bills. Review, research, analyze, and respond to underlying issues and inquiries. Correct rates as needed. Collaborate with attorneys and staff to edit and finalize. Submit finalized bills in appropriate template format, adhering to attorney and client specifications.
- Collaborate with the E-billing Coordinator for set up of new clients for e-billing requirements. Collaborate with Master Files to update appropriate fields according to client billing guidelines. Submit invoices electronically, taking accountability for successful submission and troubleshooting issues.
- Communicate directly with clients as requested or as established, including following up on collections and contacting clients as needed. Concisely communicate arrangements with attorneys and clients on their matters; provide clients with requested information on any special billing and or collection arrangements. Respond to all inquiries relating to same.
- Provide in-depth knowledge and expertise throughout portfolio of clients and billing attorneys. Develop analysis and research related to assigned portfolios, providing concise, detail-based documentation, statistics, and recommendations. Respond to inquiries relating to accruals, audits and payments report; provide rate analysis upon request; recommend solutions based on billing trends relating to realization; and prepare ad hoc reports upon request. Document procedures.
- Prepare effective monthly billing and collections forecasts for assigned portfolio. Maintain updated pre-bill status report and 5k; monitor billing and collection numbers daily.
- Ensure management of client trust accounts, on account billing, accurate payment application, and unapplied fund resolution throughout life cycle of assigned accounts. Monitor unapplied cash report and offer resolution when applicable and assist accounts receivable with accurate payment applications. Keep partners updated on available on-account and trust funds and apply when needed.
- Establish effective backup support processes to ensure seamless support for all portfolio matters. Ensure adequate coverage when out of the office; communicate to co-workers and attorneys ahead of time; set out-of-office messages; monitor Blackberry periodically.
- Participate in continuous improvement of processes for own portfolio and for the Billing and Collections group as a whole; offer constructive recommendations and solutions; propose streamlined processes; actively solve problems.
- Ensure Firm policies and practices are followed within Department; promote consistency and fairness, maintain open door policy and promote open dialog.
- Ensure that Department staff is knowledgeable and trained on professional and technical matters.
- Ensure Department is structured and staffed effectively to meet client service objectives.
- Ensure staff effectively meet client service objectives. Provide supportive coaching; set achievable, challenging team goals; develop skills of team members to ensure achievement of client service priorities.
- Prepare timely, substantive, and strategically aligned performance evaluations.
- Identify and timely address employee relations and performance concerns within team; collaborate with Human Resources and management to support effective and appropriate resolution.
- Participate in recruiting for department, including drafting position descriptions; regularly review and update position descriptions for staff.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance or Business discipline preferred.
- Minimum three years dedicated specialized billing, collection or account management experience.
- Minimum 2 years of supervisory / management experience, preferably in a law firm.
- Hands-on experience performing complex accounting analysis.
- Law Firm or professional services background with international exposure preferred.
- Experience with Elite Enterprise, Elite 3E, or Aderant strongly preferred.
Who We Are
At Morrison & Foerster, our culture is defined by our deeds. We're passionate about what we do. We're equally passionate about how we do it. We resist hierarchies and operate within a model of respect - for our colleagues, their ideas, and the differences that make us stronger. We encourage you to learn more about who we are, and what we do .
Should you find you're ready to do the best work of your life, we encourage you to let us know!