Want to be part of a team that makes a difference? Come be part of the change.
Since 1920, APEGA has been regulating the practices of engineering and geoscience to serve the public interest in Alberta.
We are looking for energetic people who thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced, and challenging environment. You are committed to serving the community with integrity, accountability, and innovation, and capable of delivering exceptional service. If you reflect these values, have the knowledge, skills, and abilities to make a difference through your work, and are passionate about acting in the best interest of public safety – then come be a part of our diverse and inclusive team!
Reporting to the Director, Business Performance, the Business Analyst is involved in the design or modification of business processes or IT systems. The Business Analyst interacts with the business stakeholders and subject matter experts to understand their problems and needs. The analyst gathers, documents, and analyzes business needs and requirements and bridges the knowledge with IT. It is an important position that plays a critical role in deciphering the future systems and processes for many businesses.
Provide business analysis support to projects and/or initiatives by facilitating discussions to capture the business needs and translating them into requirements for change. This change could be to streamline business process, implement new software or enhance existing system.
Provide quality assurance of the IT development work for projects and/or initiatives, to ensure business requirements are met.
Provide Project Management support to projects and/or initiatives to aid the business in coordination, communication and completion of tasks for a specific goal by effectively managing a team with specific roles and tasks.
The size and complexity of a Business Analysts role could range from a simple process improvement project that may only require 2 weeks of effort, to a full system implementation that could last several years. It is expected that the Business Analyst will:
· Engage with the stakeholders to understand their requirements.
· Aid the stakeholders to determine a decision through meeting facilitation.
· Document requirements
· Provide the best course of action and/or alternative options, based on business needs.
· Design the solution that best fits the business.
The size and complexity of the Quality Assurance role is likely to be low, depending on the resourcing. If it is an ongoing project, this role will need to be assumed several times for approximately 4 weeks for each release.
· Create testing documentation
· Test the IT development meets the business needs
· Feedback and defects back to IT to meet the business needs
The size and complexity of the Project Management role could range from a simple project that may only require a month work of effort, to an entire year.
· Create project documentation to ensure the project/initiative are successful
· Facilitate discussions with the business for decisions to be made
Depending on the projects/initiatives, all roles above, are likely to run in parallel.
Competencies, Skills & Attributes
· Core Competencies: Exemplifying Integrity, Fostering Communication, Results Orientation, Service Excellence, and Teamwork.
· Functional Competencies: Analytical Thinking, Facilitation, Improving Business Processes, Problem Solving and Requirement Analysis.
· Effectively manage stakeholder expectations
· Effective Communication and Presentation skills
· Ability to influence others using analysis techniques
· Ability to facilitate meetings and elicit requirements
· Analysis skills that look between 3 levels:
· Effective problem-solving skills that look at the bigger picture
· Critical thinking and evaluation skills when determining options
· Must have used the following tools
o MS Visio
o MS Office
o MS SharePoint
o MS SQL Server Management Studio (nice to have)
o Axure RP (nice to have)
· Ability to build and maintain relationships with stakeholders from CEO and Executives to SMEs
· Extensive knowledge of Business Analysis, including:
o Eliciting business requirements techniques
o Process mapping in either UML or BPMN
o Developing BA artifacts, such as, Business Cases, BRDs, FRDs, RTMs, User Stories
o Stakeholder Management
o Planning and monitoring BA activities
· Knowledge of Product Ownership
· Knowledge of the different Software Development Life Cycles and the roles and responsibilities of the team
· Knowledge of Agile Analysis
· Knowledge of Product Management
· Knowledge of 6-Sigma
· Knowledge of ITIL v4
· Knowledge of Change Management
· Knowledge of PMI Project Management and documentation
· Knowledge of SQL Scripting
· Knowledge of QA approaches and documentation
· Knowledge of technical systems, such as:
o Database structures
o IT systems
o Application development
· Post-secondary degree in Business or Computing
· 3-5 years of experience in working with IT on system implementations and/or enhancements, business process improvements and business process re-engineering.
· Certificate of Capability in Business Analysis (CCBA) and/or Foundation Certificate in Business Analysis would be considered an asset.
· Equivalencies may be considered.
Closing Date: Until successful candidate is found
We acknowledge all candidates working in their area of expertise may build their knowledge, skills, and competencies in several ways. We welcome candidates from a breadth of backgrounds, who may have equivalent skills and competencies to the ones listed above. There may be APEGA positions posted that have specific regulatory requirements, and in keeping with those requirements, APEGA will follow the guidelines that we are bound by. All candidates are considered with the objective to enhance APEGA’s people and culture.
Please note, each submission needs to clearly indicate the competition number of the position you are applying for. If you are submitting a resume for multiple positions, please ensure you send a separate submission for each competition.
Thank you for your interest in APEGA.
Only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Reference ID: 21-36
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $58,451.00-$100,846.00 per year
- Company events
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- Vision care
- Wellness program
- Monday to Friday