For more than 70 years, Brown and Caldwell has been creating leading-edge environmental solutions for public agencies and private industry. We strive to be the environmental company of choice—to our clients, who benefit from our passion for delivering exceptional quality, and to our employees, present and future, who share our commitment to client service, collaboration and innovation. Join us, and you will find a home where you can do your best work, reach new levels of expertise and enjoy exceptional development opportunities. As a privately held firm with over 1,600 employee-owners in 50+ offices nationwide, the opportunity awaits for you to advance.
Brown and Caldwell seeks a Client Services Senior Director with an established track record of estimating, winning, and executing design-build projects and programs for civil infrastructure and private clients. The Design-Build Client Services Senior Director, is highly recognized and regarded in Brown and Caldwell and would be responsible for growing and delivering BC’s portfolio of design-build work for key clients, focused on design delivery integrated with the needs of BC’s construction partners. Characteristics of the successful candidate include the proven ability to execute design in collaborative delivery projects and to maximize revenue in a design-build environment, especially where BC’s success is tied to overall project performance. This position will focus on water/wastewater and environmental Design-Build project execution in public- and private-market sectors including municipal water and wastewater facilities; conveyance; Oil & Gas; Chemical; Mining; Aerospace; Power; Food and Beverage nationwide.
The successful candidate will develop, maintain, leverage and expand exceptional relationships with local and national clients. The candidate will have the ability to navigate and align the client organization with BC’s team of experts and resources, manage and oversee design-build program/project assignments, ensure profitable design-build project/program performance with superior quality, while exceeding client expectations (Construction Partner and traditional).
The candidate would also be expected to develop, maintain, and leverage relationships in the infrastructure construction market to promote teaming relationships and new pursuit opportunities.
Successful candidates will work closely with design-build team, BC’s IPD Enterprise Group, BC’s Business Unit Leaders and Area Leaders nationwide.
Responsibilities to include:
- Understand and be able to help teams mitigate the risks associated with design delivery in collaborative delivery contract models.
- Develop and mentor Project Managers and Design Managers to execute design-build opportunities ranging in size from $5M to more than $150M.
- Assist pursuit teams in defining and developing the best execution strategy for Design Partner projects and ensure the scope, schedule, and cost fit the plan and risk profile of the project.
- Client focus resulting in direct interaction and growth with target clients as portfolio manager for design-build work – this includes traditional clients and construction partner clients.
- Demonstrate technical acumen and value while providing direct project development and management, or project oversight, as required.
Serve as a primary point of contact. Act as the primary point of contact for matters related to Brown and Caldwell service delivery to assigned design-build client base. Candidate will be expected to maintain relationships throughout the client organization, including at the executive management level.
Understand project success factors. Leverage past experience to develop and maintain a deep understanding of the critical success factors of a design-build project pursuit and execution. Contribute to the creation and implementation of best practices.
Manage a portfolio of projects. Coordinate and collaborate with BC marketing and project delivery teams to address client critical success factors (CSFs), ensure excellent service delivery and maximize client profit potential. This includes maintaining and implementing strategic and tactical action plans to position for future design-build work.
Serve as clients’ advocate internal to BC. Stay current on client design-build contracts and projects, and work with BC team members to: identify resources to support design-build projects, troubleshoot or escalate issues, and maintain exceptional client service. Manage design-build design implementation when necessary and appropriate.
Be an internal partner. Work closely with internal stakeholders including Business Unit Leaders, Area Leaders, PMO and others to grow and deepen the bench of PMs and DMs to create experienced high functioning design delivery teams.
Track Financial Information related to project delivery. Use BC’s project accounting system to track project profitability and other key financial metrics.
Project Delivery/Management. Serve as client manager, senior technical resource, owner advisor or program/project manager for key clients, when necessary and appropriate. Manage BC multi-disciplinary resources to deliver service and products across one or more design build projects to assigned clients. Ensure that BC’s project delivery system is applied and that quality reviews are performed.
Operations. As needed, provide input to local leadership to contribute sales data necessary to support staff utilization, revenue, and project profitability goals.
Leadership. Coordinate with other company leadership to help achieve company goals and participate and support industry associations in the development and implementation of design-build best practices.
Visibility. Promote BC market exposure, with a design-build emphasis, through support of selected regional and/or national conferences and committees.
Project Development/Sales Leader. As necessary or appropriate, creates client engagement strategies and pursuit plans, actively leading in key opportunity proposal strategy, positioning, teaming, messaging and interview development.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Minimum of 20 years’ experience in infrastructure programs and design-build projects in the municipal and private market sectors with progressive responsibilities for sales and business development
- Proven record of successfully executing profitable programs and design-build projects for clients and developing high functioning design teams
- Proven record of successfully engaging in all aspects of design-build projects to effectively propose and deliver all contract requirements, while exceeding client expectations
Ability to successfully develop new business opportunities including:
- Identifying program, design-build, and owner advisor opportunities
- Supporting appropriate decisions on whether or not to pursue opportunities
- Developing winning project development strategies including identifying and engaging suitable teaming partners in appropriate teaming arrangements in the best interests of BC and its clients
- Ability to build and lead high performance teams to successfully deliver design-build projects and implement management plans for design-build project completion
- Ability to lead preparation of strategically significant design-build proposals and related sales activity to win and close new design-build project opportunities
- BS engineering or construction management related discipline required;
- PE or Construction license or related professional registration preferred
Benefits and Other Compensation: We provide a comprehensive benefits package that promotes employee health, performance, and success which includes medical, dental, vision, short and long-term disability, life insurance, an employee assistance program, paid time off and parental leave, paid holidays, 401(k) retirement savings plan with employer match, performance-based bonus eligibility, employee referral bonuses, tuition reimbursement, pet insurance and long-term care insurance. Click here to see our full list of benefits.
About Brown and Caldwell
Headquartered in Walnut Creek, Calif., Brown and Caldwell is a full-service environmental engineering and construction firm with 52 offices and 1,700 professionals across North America and the Pacific. For more than 70 years, we have created leading-edge environmental solutions for municipalities, private industry, and government agencies. We strive to be the company of choice—to our clients, who benefit from our passion for delivering exceptional quality, and to our employees, present and future, who share our commitment to client service, collaboration, and innovation. Join us, and you will find a home where you can do your best work, reach new levels of expertise, and enjoy exceptional development opportunities. For more information, visit www.brownandcaldwell.com
This position is subject to a pre-employment background check and a pre-employment drug test.
Notice to Third Party Agencies: Brown and Caldwell does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate without a previously signed agreement and approved engagement request with Brown and Caldwell, Brown and Caldwell reserves the right to pursue and hire those candidate(s) without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency.
Brown and Caldwell is proud to be an EEO/AAP Employer. Minorities/Women/Disabled and Protected Veterans are encouraged to apply. Brown and Caldwell ensures nondiscrimination in all programs and activities in accordance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor???s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)