Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely.
The Operations Strategic Support Unit plays a fundamental role in enabling efficient business and program execution – from technologies and investments to supply chain, manufacturing and test operations, facilities management, and information technology services.
Senior Cloud Solutions Architect – AWS
Join us in Ball Aerospace Information Technology Services as we architect and build the next generation IT platform. We enable our business and engineering teams to execute and deliver the amazing products and services Ball Aerospace is known for. We’re seeking an engaged, talented, collaborative teammate to join and contribute to our small team and learn, grow, and share in our collective success.
The Solutions Architect (SA) for AWS (Amazon Web Services) Cloud leads design and architecture activities for a variety of AWS cloud computing environments and project activities to support IaaS and PaaS requirements in the AWS Cloud, and ensures those designs adequately represent and support the needs of the business and application teams. Intimately involved with both the Enterprise Architecture and the business solutions teams, the SA ensures alignment of designs to business and IT visions, requirements, and architectural standards and frameworks.
The SA has a deep understanding of business goals, objective and business goals. The SA provides the necessary leadership, analysis and design tasks related to support the development of technology solutions to ensure that solutions meet business needs and align with architectural governance and standards. He or she creates architectural deliverables for managing the organization's portfolio of "to be" and "as is" solutions to enable and drive targeted business outcomes.
What You’ll Do:
Collaborate with business partners, Business Relationship Managers, and Subject Matter Experts (SME’s) in translating business and technical requirements into architectural blueprints to achieve business objectives.
- In coordination with Enterprise Application, Infrastructure, Security, and Data Architects, lead the creation of a 3–5-year enterprise cloud vision and strategy (IaaS, PaaS, SaaS) to support the key business processes and requirements.
- Guide execution of the cloud vision by providing technical expertise/guidance in cloud technologies.
- Ensure security needs are met. Understand and ensure compliance to regulatory requirements for applications and infrastructure components.
- Research, analyze, determine information capabilities and propose technology solution alternatives that address specific business needs and product/service strategies
- Lead analysis and design of AWS portfolio architecture, interfaces, processes, data, and dependencies. Lead envisioning of future state architecture based on enterprise business strategy, IT strategy, business capabilities, value-streams, business requirements and enterprise standards.
- Define overall architecture and develop documentation deliverables for solutions, including applications, databases, application and data integration components, security, processes, configuration, reporting, and more.
- Ensure that solution architecture supports realization of technology investment. Understand and leverage existing technology investments, and when appropriate, make the business and technical case for a new investment.
- Engage with the architectural review process (e.g., Architectural Review Board (ARB)), developing required documents, leading presentations and facilitation of review discussions, including any follow-up action items and requested modifications to proposed solution architecture.
- Clearly communicate with business teams to describe solutions, and address questions regarding the technical solution.
- Challenge the implementation teams in adherence to architectural intent.
- Follow established architectural standards, frameworks, and policies to ensure conformity and impacts to architecture standards for design under review.
- Understand, manage, and communicate dependencies across a broad portfolio of projects and products.
- Analyze portfolio of applications and detect critical deficiencies, technical debt, and provide recommendations for improvement.
- Facilitate the evaluation and selection of software product standards and services, as well as the design of standard and custom software configurations.
- Support product/service owners with product decisions to maintain, refresh or retire products, services or systems.
- Work closely with product and service owners to ensure a robust architectural runway that can support future business requirements throughout the product lifecycle.
- Provide consulting support and mentorship to technical architects within delivery teams.
- Estimate initial project proposal scope, initial cost estimation and develop initial logical system architecture.
- Ensure compliance of solutions with IT standards, company and regulatory security requirements.
- Maintain architecture artifacts in an Enterprise Architecture Toolset including high level architecture, detail architecture, integration diagrams, roadmaps, and capability mapping.
- Work with the Enterprise Architects to align external and internal capability and technology roadmaps.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
Related Bachelor’s and 15 or more years of related experience; or HS Diploma and 21 or more years of related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Associate’s, Bachelor’s Degree, Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for additional years of experience.
- Related certifications may count towards years of related experience.
- Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Experience in designing, implementing and supporting cloud infrastructure in support of business applications and other business requirements.
- Broad knowledge of all layers of AWS cloud infrastructure, services, and security.
- 5+ years of experience in a solution architecture, systems engineering, software development, systems administration, or similar role.
- Knowledge of DevOps, automation, and Agile development practices and toolsets.
- Good presentation and communication skills, with the ability to translate and clearly formulate technical issues for technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Trusted and respected thought leader who can influence and persuade business and IT leaders and IT development teams.
- Strong project coordination and multi-tasking abilities.
- Demonstrated intellectual curiosity and integrity.
- Motivated and driven by achieving long-term business outcomes.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment including cross-functional teams and business stakeholders.
- Knowledge of various aspects of an enterprise technology architecture like business, information, technology, and security.
- Experience developing architectural deliverables including project architectures, strategies, and roadmaps.
- Broad platform and technical exposure including On-Premise, Cloud, SaaS.
- Ability to be technology neutral: remain unbiased toward any specific technology or vendor and be more interested in results than personal preferences.
- Knowledge of cloud financial models and budgeting preferred.
- Understanding and knowledge of IT service management (ITSM) and Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) preferred.
- Experience with Enterprise Architecture Toolset for capturing architecture deliverables and roadmaps (e.g., Orbus Software iServer) preferred.
- Experience in Enterprise Architecture frameworks (e.g., TOGAF preferred).
- Experience in Business Capability Mapping (e.g., APQC preferred).
- Knowledge of Azure cloud and equivalent translations from AWS concepts preferred.
- Work is performed in an office environment, laboratory, cleanroom, or production floor.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
A current DoD clearance and/or SCI access with Polygraph is not required to be eligible for this position, however applicant must be willing and eligible for submission within 60-90 days after an offer is accepted and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance/access. By applying to this position, you are agreeing to complete a National Security Clearance Pre-Screen Questionnaire to evaluate your general ability to obtain the required security clearance or government customer access associated with this position.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
HIRING SALARY RANGE: $118,500 - $163,500 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.