- Bachelor’s degree
- 4+ years of experience in publishing, buying, account management, financial analysis, or a related field
- Demonstrated ability to operate effectively and simultaneously in both tactical and strategic modes
- Polished written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to audit own work as well as others’ written work
- Passion for customers (especially readers) and for books across all formats
Our stores help customers discover many great products, including books. To facilitate browsing and discovery and create a unique shopping experience, we choose a variety of well-known and lesser-known books and magazines to feature in our physical retail locations. The Sr. Category Manager leads this critical component of our strategy. They are the ones carefully selecting the books we carry and making sure we have a book or magazine for everyone in our stores. You’ll apply your creative skills to conceive featured groupings of books that will engage customers, and critical thinking to plan improvements and innovate for the future, including weekly and quarterly business reviews.
We are looking for a Category Manager Books to drive the books business forward. This role will own management of several kids' categories (Middle Grade, Kids Nonfiction etc), and adult categories (Young Adult, Religion). You will choose the titles in our stores' assortment for these categories and make sure that our selection remains fresh and appealing. A successful candidate will proactively gather benchmarks, insights, and opinions of others; prioritize and help to drive trade-off discussions; and measure the impact.
The ideal candidate is a self-starter who will identify and take ownership of projects and business problems and drive them to a successful result. The right person for this role has a passion for books and is highly analytical. Our environment is fast-paced, and requires someone who is flexible, detail-oriented, analytical, and comfortable working with multiple teams, vendors, partners, and management. Other skills needed to be successful in this role are excellent writing and communication skills, high standards, and the ability to innovate on behalf of our customers. You thrive in fast-paced, energetic, and ambiguous environments, and you are excited to build world-class stores that customers will love shopping.
This role will have several key responsibilities including:
- Day-to-day selection management: Select the titles in our stores within multiple categories, including not-yet-published books and backlist. You will use various data inputs to select and remove books from your categories, determine the pace of those changes, and analyze the sales performance of your categories. You are a category expert and leader; you have a clear grasp on customers’ considerations and reasons for buying in your categories.
- Merchandising Expert: Partner with our merchandising team to drive excellence for the Books category.
- Community Outreach and Selection Diversity: Responsible for managing our diverse product strategy and community outreach including annual book donation drives.
- Assortment Strategy: You will work closely with Amazon.com retail teams and vendors to bring new releases, seasonal trends, and other highly rated customer favorites into our stores. You develop featured display ideas and choose the assortments for those features.
- Business Analysis: You manage ongoing analysis and deep dives of the overall business to gain deeper understanding of customer purchasing behavior. You use sales and other data to analyze performance of the assortment, iterate based on the data, and recommend strategies for improvement.
- Books Advocate: You represent the voice of the books customer in discussions with other internal and external teams and act as an advocate for books customer experience in all facets of our store and work process design.
- Professional experience making selection decisions about books
- Knowledge of current and recent bestselling titles with an emphasis on Biography, Wellness & Self Care, Entertainment, and/or Politics
- Experience in physical retail
- Experience building category plans and bridging variance to plan
- Highly analytical decision maker
- MBA with relevant business experience
- Knowledge of SQL